Speaking as someone who has witnessed a fair number of sales tax audits – I suggest that paying attention to sales tax issues before they come under audit is one of the best courses of action.
Remember that in most instances if your company is audited you’ll have little (if any) recourse to collect back sales tax from any customer where it was not computed correctly.
If your company is unlucky enough to be audted, guess who’s pocket sales tax discrepancy comes out of..
When you are operating in one state the compliance matters can be manageable. Spread those operations out between multiple states and suddenly what was manageable can become a huge time sink as well as potential liability during any audit.
Could your company benefit from automating the sales tax computation and filing functions?
When considering whether a sales tax calculation and filing service such as Avalara makes sense for your company, here are some questions to ask:
- Do you pay sales tax in multiple jurisdictions?
- Do you have a remote salesforce?
- Are you registered to pay sales tax in more than one state?
- Do you have business in one or more of the four home rule states (Alabama, Colorado, Louisiana or Arizona)?
- Do you have offices or locations in more than one state?
- Do you need to calculate sales tax in multiple jurisdictions on behalf of your customers?
- Do you have over 3,300 transactions per year?
Are you in a specific vertical industry such as:
- High Tech
- Medical Devices
- Multi-Level Marketing
- Warranty Support
- Have you gone through a sales tax audit (with unfavorable results)?
- Have you had staff change in your tax department?
- Are you upgrading or changing your ERP or order entry system?
- Have you entered a new market
- Have you begun producing a new product?
Answering yes to one or more of the above may mean at a review of your sales tax reporting is in order. Start the process by requesting a free Sales Tax Compliance Kit from Erica at Avalara. She’ll send you out the free rate computation utility as well as some information specific to your local tax jurisdiction.
For more information fill out the inquiry form below.
[contact-form 2 “Contact Information Avalara”]